Whether you have large commercial grounds, or a residential garden, taking care of your landscaping during Autumn can be very important. But what are the most essential autumn maintenance tasks for gardens and grounds? And why should you consider hiring a professional team?
What are the essential autumn maintenance tasks for gardens and grounds?
There are a number of important tasks you should consider to maintain your gardens and grounds this Autumn, so that these will flourish next spring. These tasks include:
- Leaf removal- One of the most common autumn tasks is leaf removal. Falling leaves not only make your lawn and plants seem messy, but they can also suffocate them and block them from receiving vital air and sunlight. As a result, you should be sure to clear leaves from your lawn, walkways, and flower beds on a regular basis over the autumn months, with a rake or a leaf blower.
- Lawn care- You will need to continue mowing your lawn as needed during the autumn weather, but you may need to adjust the mower height, slightly raising this to prevent scalping. Other lawn care tasks can also be completed in autumn, with aeration and overseeding being important tasks for a lush, healthy lawn in the spring.
- Weed control- Autumn is an excellent time to tackle the weeds that may have overtaken your gardens or grounds during the summer weather. As a result, you should consider removing any persistent weeds from your garden beds and applying a weed control treatment to prevent their return in the spring. Hiring a professional team for this can be very important to ensure long lasting high quality results.
- Pruning- Taking care of your hedges and shrubs is an important part of your autumnal maintenance. Pruning back overgrown bushes and shrubs to maintain their shape and size over the winter months can be important preparation for the growing season. You should also consider removing dead or diseased branches to prevent the spread of diseases. A professional grounds maintenance team can help to ensure that your hedges are well maintained and well taken care of.
- Plant bulbs- Autumn is the ideal time to plant spring-flowering bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, and crocuses. You will need to ensure that these are planted at the appropriate depth and spaced properly for a beautiful display next year.
- Mulching- For some gardens and grounds, mulching can be a good option in autumn. You should consider applying a layer of mulch to your garden beds to help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and provide insulation for plant roots during winter. Make sure that you use organic mulch materials like wood chips or compost.
Hiring a professional team for your autumnal grounds maintenance
For high quality, professional and reliable commercial grounds maintenance you can count on, all year round, get in touch with the experts today, here at Green Scenery. We are Preston’s leading garden and grounds maintenance experts for both commercial and residential properties.